Monday, January 11, 2010

Foundation Sweet Dough- 100 year old recipe- Great Grandma Jones

1 Cup Scalded Milk

1 Cup Lukewarm Water

1/2 Cup Sugar

6 Tb Crisco (I usually do rounded)

1 tsp salt

3 Eggs Beaten

1 small yeast cake (the square ones, Do they still make them?) Or 2 Pkg Dry yeast

6 or more cups Flour. (I use Unbleached)

Proof yeast in the water with a tsp sugar.
Scald milk and add Crisco, salt and sugar, stir and let cool to lukewarm.

Pour milk mixture into a large bowl and add 2 cups flour to make a batter. Then add yeast mixture and eggs. Mix well and add remaining flour one cup at a time until stiff enough to knead- the dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl.
Knead 15 minutes or until smooth. (I knead quarter turns until I count to 150 to 200 turns, I never time the process and I don't get anxiety over it if it's not real smooth either)

Place the dough ball in a greased bowl and grease top of the dough ball. (I use oil spray nowadays.) Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap. let rise until doubled in volume.

Punch down dough and divide into three equal balls. (I know it says to do that but I just tip the dough out of the bowl and cut it into 2 equal pie shaped wedges, and form it lightly into a squarish shape. I leave as much air in the dough ball as possible to make it easier to roll the dough into a rectangle for cinnamon buns or raisin bread.

For Cinnamon buns I roll out the dough as thin as I can and brush on a 1/2 stick of melted butter, then I sprinkle on about 1/2 cup (more or less) of packed brown sugar and rub it into the dough make sure it's all over it, then heavily sprinkle on the cinnamon, and raisins and or nuts if you wish. Roll up and place in a greased square pan or a cake pan. whatever a round one will do. I usually drizzle a plain icing glaze on top (10 X sugar, milk and vanilla).

If making sticky buns I use less brown sugar on the inside but lots of cinnamon. Now place a 1/2 cup of brown sugar in the bottom of the baking pan and add a 1/2 stick of melted butter and a TB water! Now place the sliced buns on top and let rise until nearly doubled before baking at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

NOTE: This recipe is at least 100 years old. I'm sure Flora Jones used lard as a new bride in the late 1870's

No comments:

Post a Comment