Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Flour Tortilla's

2 Cups Unbleached Flour

2 TB Shortening

1 tsp Baking Soda

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 Cup Warm Water, maybe a teaspoon more at a time..if needed if too dry.

Mix dry ingredients.
Rub in the shortening, like with pie dough, then add the warm water. If the dough feels too dry add another tsp or TB if needed.
Knead 20 times and let rest 20 minutes.

Cut into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls, roll out into 10 inch circles. (I found it hard to get a large enough tortilla, so I took one small ball and divided it 7 ways to make the balls larger), THEN I rolled them out on a lightly floured counter. I constantly turned the dough only rolling toward me and away from me, probably only 9 inches at the most.

Cook in a dry ungreased skillet 30 seconds on each side. (I cooked on medium low heat ( more on the low side) 1 minute on each side.

Eat them immediately or stack on a plate and refrigerate to cool them if not eating that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment