Wednesday, July 4, 2012

German Potato Pancakes

4 Medium Sized Potatoes

3 Eggs

1/2 Cup Milk

1/2 Cup Flour

1 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Salt

2 tsp Onion Powder (My addition), or add 1/4 cup finely chopped Onion.

Pare the potatoes and grate them.
Add beaten eggs and milk and sifted dry ingredients.
Drop by spoon into a hot greased frying pan.
Bake until a golden brown on both sides.
Makes 10-12 cakes.

NOTE: I used 6 smaller potatoes. Probably about 3-4 cups shredded. I did not peel my potatoes, and I shredded them with a box grater and soaked them in cold water for about 5 minutes. Then I drained them well by pushing down on them in a colander and added the remaining ingredients. I drained the fried potato pancakes on a brown grocery bag. I think since I used a glass bowl the potatoes did not turn brown or maybe it was the soaking in water?.

They got a 2 thumbs up from my husband.

 From the Mennonite Community Cookbook (1950)

No comments:

Post a Comment