Saturday, December 18, 2010

American Perogies or Perogie Lasagna?

12- 16 Lasagna Noodles (I cook 2 extra in case they tear)

8 oz or more shredded cheese (mild or sharp Cheddar) Maybe you'd like an extra 8 oz of cheese to sprinkle on potato layers as you assemble it?

2 Pounds Onions

3-4 Pounds Potatoes

Milk for mashing potatoes

1 Cup Butter

Directions:
Put the water on to boil the noodles to al dente.

Chop the onions and saute in the butter until soft and golden brown then set aside.

Then begin peeling the potatoes and put them on to boil until tender also. Or use instant potatoes. How much? I have no idea... I'd say 2 cups to a layer.

As soon as the noodles are done separate them on some wax paper.

Mash the potatoes, add the shredded cheese and a little milk and about a 1/2 cup of the onions. Divide into 3 or 4 equal portions and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350-375 degrees.

Spread a large spoonful of onions on bottom of dish. Now place 4 noodles to overlap.

Spread a portion of potatoes on noodles and sprinkle with extra cheese if you wish.

Keep repeating until you use up the potatoes and noodles and optional extra cheese.

Spread the remaining onion mixture on top then cover with aluminum foil and bake for about an hour. This stays pretty hot. Wrap it up in thick towels to keep warm until served.

NOTE I use my deep sided glass Pyrex Lasagna dish for this recipe. Hey be creative. If you want more onions cook a double batch and spread some out on the potato layers, but I find 2 pounds is plenty and I still put a scattering of onions on the potato layers this time. The first time I made this I used nearly 5 pounds of potatoes and a pound of cheese and it was way too much. The one I just put in the oven was probably 3-4 pounds of potatoes. Just make sure you have 2 cups of potato/cheese mixture for each layer of noodles. I had potatoes topped with onions on top layer with 4 layers of noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment