Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Crock Pot Bake Beans

Last night Mom called me to see if I would make a crock pot of bake beans for a funeral dinner tomorrow. I agreed but I have no 7 pound can of Furman's Pork and Beans and only a 1/2 pound of bacon which I can't spare right now. Well as usual I have the brown sugar and ketchup and onion for the sauce. Since I work day shift I just make the bake bean sauce and give it Mom the day before and she mixes it with the baked beans in the crock pot and lets it simmer until she takes it to the church in late morning. See even though I don't attend the Methodist church I grew up in I still donate "bake beans" (as I call them) to the funeral dinners and bake pies for the church suppers. Right now I'm low on funds for the bake bean supplies so mom buys them. She has to prepare it at her house anyway if it's a weekday funeral. Here's the recipe:


CROCK POT BAKE BEANS

7 Pound can Pork and Beans

1/2 Pound bacon

1 Large Onion chopped

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Cup Ketchup

2 Tb Mustard wet

2 Tb Worcestershire Sauce

Marjoram

Cut a pound of bacon down the center of the package and then cut one half into 1/2 inch slices. Now cook in a skillet until brown and crispy. Remove most of the bacon grease but leave about 2 TB. Now add the chopped onion and let it cook until soft and golden. Now pour into a small bowl and add the other sauce ingredients and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Make sure you taste this delicious sauce before you refrigerate it. I just LOVE this sauce! It's delicious! I should sell it!
When ready to make the sauce just mix it with the pork and beans (drain 3/4 of the sauce that the beans come in) in the crock pot set on HIGH and forget about for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment