Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Butternut Squash and/or Sweet Potato Soup- IBS Friendly

5-6 Lbs Butternut Squash, peeled and seeded and cubed

1 or more Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed  (Optional)

1 Large Onion, chopped small

2 small stalks of Celery chopped small/sliced thin

2-3 Tb Canola Oil, Olive Oil or Butter if you prefer

10 Cups Chicken Broth or  3 TB Better Than Bouillon Chicken and 10 cups water
                                  
1 clove of Garlic minced (optional)

1 tsp Salt, pepper to taste

Set a 6 Qt crock pot on high and add the broth, then peel, seed and cube the butternut squash and peel and cube the Sweet Potatoes- add to the pot. Sometimes I make a whole pot of Sweet Potato Soup using the same recipe.

You can saute the onions and celery together, and add half to the pot if you wish, but the celery will not be very soft unless it cooks in the broth, so I caramelize the onions separately and save half to add back in after I puree it. I love biting on a caramelized onion while eating it.

After about 5-6 hours of cooking on High, the squash and sweet potatoes should be tender enough to puree, I use a heavy duty blender. If the soup is too thick add a cup of broth, if too thin, it will thicken as it sits in the fridge and some of the liquid evaporates. I can eat this all week on my soup diet and the soluble fiber is great for people with IBS, and it's full of antioxidants..

I serve with a pat of butter, or add a few TB  of butter while reheating a large amount of soup. This recipe makes 4 quarts of soup. I always freeze some in single portions,.

No comments:

Post a Comment