Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mirepoix Soup?- IBS Friendly

Mirepoix (pronounced /mɪərˈpwɑː/ meer-PWAH, French pronunciation: [miʁəˈpwɑ]) is the French name for a combination of onions, carrots, and celery (either common pascal celery or celeriac). Mirepoix, either raw, roasted or sautéed with butter, is the flavor base for a wide number of dishes, such as stocks, soups, stews and sauces. The three ingredients are commonly referred to as aromatics.

Similar combinations of vegetables are known as holy trinity in Creole cooking, refogado in Portuguese, soffritto in Italian, and sofrito in Spanish.

NOTE: The above definition was taken from Wikipedia.



I made some delicious BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP last weekend. I made a nice Mirepoix soup base and added some pototoes to the broth also as the recipe called for. The thing is, when I pureed the veggies they tasted delicious and I wanted some mnore but I had to use it for the Butternut Squash Soup. Today I decided to make some MIREPOIX SOUP out of the classic trio plus adding potatoes. So I have just that simmering on the stove right now. Except I added lots of extra carrots since I love them so much. Maybe this is really CARROT SOUP!

1 Large Onion chopped

3 Stalks celery chopped

2 Pounds carrots Chopped

3 Medium Potatoes Peeled and cubed

3 Cans Chicken Broth

1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original

Salt and pepper to taste

After the veggies are tender I will puree the soup. I can't help it! I like pureed soups and it's better for my digestion if I do since I have IBS-C.

No comments:

Post a Comment