Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cocoa and Toast - An Old Childhood Memory

When I was a teenager I remember eating Hot Cocoa and Toast every morning for breakfast while I was in high school, and you know we always dipped our margarine saturated toast into the cocoa before we took a bite. Mom used to make her own cocoa mix from scratch using Nestle Cocoa mix, Carnation Instant Milk and Coffee Mate.

I remember all four of us girls going with Mom to the local Commercial Bread Bakery to get the day old bread. Mom would come home with at least a half dozen loaves plus a loaf of Roman meal Bread for dad. You know why? Us girls ate a lot of bread, especially me and my sister Janet. Why I remember eating 4 slices of toast every morning for at least 2 years until I got sick of it. Back then mom used to buy these big one pound blocks of margarine that we buttered our toast with.

As I got older I learned to love the taste of hot cocoa from scratch using reconstituted Carnation Evaporated Milk and real Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and sugar. I also learned to love the taste of real butter on my toast. But I now know that the PRIMO toast for dipping in my "from scratch" cocoa is my own homemade bread sliced thin for extra crunch! So you see I relive my old childhood memory of Cocoa and Toast almost every time I make a batch of homemade bread and happen to have a can of evaporated milk in the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment