Friday, February 8, 2013

Crock Pot Yogurt

1/2 Gallon Milk

8 OZ  Plain Yogurt with live cultures

1/2 Cup Powdered Milk (Optional for thicker yogurt.)

Scald the milk in the crock pot on high setting. This took 1 and 1/2 hours in my 4.5 quart crock pot.

Allow the milk to cool to 115 degrees. Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature. Now stir in the yogurt with a whisk and replace the lid on the pot and place a towel on the top. If your house is cold wrap the whole crock pot in a few bath or beach towels to insulate the pot.

Now let the mixture ferment for at least 12 hours. You will notice it's much thicker on the bottom layer and tiny bubbles are on the top layer. Now stir well and refrigerate. Save 8 OZ of yogurt for your next batch.  It seems very thin until refridgerated, when it thickened up to heavy cream consistancy.

I added Huckleberry pancake sauce to my yogurt serving because I didn't have any jam. I admit I had to add extra sugar, maybe I can wean myself off of that.. LOL!

NOTE: I use Chobani brand yogurt because it has 3 live cultures in it.

  









No comments:

Post a Comment