Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tomato Soup Cake

CAKE

1 & 3/4 Cup Flour

1 Cup Sugar

3 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp each: Cinnamon, Ground Cloves and Nutmeg

1/2 Cup Crisco

1 Can Campbell's Tomato Soup

2 Eggs

1 Cup Raisins, Candied Fruit or Prepared Mincemeat (My aunt omitted that stuff)

1 Cup Chopped Nuts

Cream Crisco and Sugar.

Mix soup with the eggs. 

Mix flour with spices.

Now mix the flour mixture into the Crisco mixture alternately with the soup mixture until smooth.

Add the fruit and nuts last. 

Grease and flour a 9" tube pan. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour batter into pan and bake 1 & 1/4 hours or until done. Let col in pan 10 mins.

FROSTING

3 OZ Cream Cheese

2 & 1/2 Cups 10X Sugar

1 Tb Milk

1/2 tsp Vanilla (I would use 1 tsp)

Mix well but add the milk last if it's too thick.

NOTE: I would add 1/4 tsp salt to the recipe. 

NOTE: I personally don't like the after taste of too much Baking Powder in a cake recipe, and would rather use 1 tsp and add 1 tsp Baking Soda, but I don't know if this would affect the rising of the cake. Maybe I could add a tsp of vinegar? It needs an acid to react with the baking soda. 


No comments:

Post a Comment